Friday, July 15, 2011

Girl on the go headband



It's summer and there are two busy girls in our house - one of whom has crazy hair that always needs some help getting tamed.  The other barely has any hair, so she needs something to shade her little head.  The solution?  The "Girl on the go headband" - an easy, quick, satisfying project.  Want to make one?  Here you go:

Materials:  one 12" x 12" square triangle of fabric*
                    one headband (mine are child-sized, about 14" long)


*Note: if you are using a fabric with a directional print, line up the print with the long side of the triangle (the hypontenuse for you math-lovers) - see mine above


1.  Cut about 1" off each end of the long edge.


2. Serge (or zigzag or pink) around all the edges.


3.  Fold over and press all sides but the long edge.


4.  Stitch the pressed edges down.


5.  To make the casing for the headband, fold the long edge over - either measure or use the headband to figure out how much to fold over.  Example - my headband is about 1/4" wide, so I folded 1/4" plus the serged edge.  You want it to be snug, but not so much that you can't feed the headband through.


 6.  Stitch along the long edge to form the casing. 


7.  Feed the headband through the casing, fold the pointed edges up and stitch straight across to close the casing.  



8.  That's it!  You can snip the little point off if you prefer.


9.  One girl ready to be on-the-go!


How about some rainy day fabric?


Or bold, primary color flowers?


Or a vintage-y looking blue and white?


Have fun digging through your stash and creating a little something for your little one!

   



7 comments:

Michele T said...

I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

chris said...

Very clever! What a fun project. I may have to make some for my girls.

kim west said...

featured this today on my blog
www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

B Moren said...

This is a cute headband...can see making a few for those kids birthday parties...

Unknown said...

I thought of doing something like this, then searched a million ways to see if someone else had done the work of laying out the steps.

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm happy to find your blog.

Unknown said...

I used to have a headband kerchief like this years ago when I was pregnant with my son (early 2001), and I haven't been able to find one since. I'm glad I ran across this, so I can make my own! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hello, I'd like to use your tutorial to make scarves for my little girl but there isn't any pictures showing on the website, is that normal? Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...